Mason vs Williamston Swim Meet

Emillie, Sports Journalist

Ready, set, dive! On Thursday, September 6th, Mason girls swim and dive had their first home meet of the season against Williamston. Though it was a tough loss, many races and dives shone through. Starting out the meet strong, Masons Medley Relay A, consisting of Emily Bushey, Mary Muenzenmaier, Amy Nguyen and Sadie Disselkoen, won the event with a time of 2:12:98.
Among the many individual time drops, junior, Amy Nguyen led the way. Nguyen swam the 500 freestyle for the first time since August 21st, which on that day she made a new personal best for herself. Nguyen beat her own personal once again on Thursday, this time by three seconds. Doing so Nguyen placed second and contributed greatly to the team score. “One of my goals this season is to make state times in my events,” Nguyen said.
Freshmen, Audrie Hoffman dropped six seconds in the 100 free and then dropped four seconds in the 100 backstroke. “Although I beat my old time, I still have improvement and still have lots of work to do in order to get under a 1:00 in the 100 freestyle by the end of the season” Hoffman said.
During diving, senior, Autumn Powell beat her old personal record and replaced it with a 178.10. Not only was this a big victory for Powell, she also came in first with such a huge score. “This really makes me have more hope and belief that I can be league champ this year” Powell, said
All these fantastic swims and dives brought the team score to 84, while Williamston finished with a total score of 102. With such great time drops it is no doubt Mason girls swim and dive is one to watch out for this season, as they continue to vie for a spot on the league podium.