Post-Election Insurrection at the U.S. Capitol

Brandt Trotter, Features/A&E Writer

2020 has proven itself to have been an extremely polarizing time when it comes to politics. Going into 2021, many people hoped that the new year would bring about a fresh start to social relations, but when hundreds of Pro-Trump protesters/rioters raided the Capitol  Building on January 6th, 2021, in an attempt to halt and seize the proceedings of President-Elect Joe Biden’s congressional confirmation, hope for a more united world begun dying out even more for many Americans, as well as people on the international level. 

During the confirmation ceremony of President-Elect Joe Biden on January 6th, 2021, a group of angry, armed Trump supporters gathered along the outskirts of the United States Capitol building. WIth police and guard presence very minimal at the time, the band of Trump supporters began to move inwards toward the Capitol’s entry points. Eventually, the group made it to the building itself, and began to infiltrate it by practically any means necessary.

The methods of entry ranged from going through the main doors to scaling the walls and breaking through windows. Before anyone watching knew it, the group of rioters managed to not only infiltrate the building itself, but many of them actually managed to make it to congressional offices and even the House and Senate chambers. 

Despite the crowd of Trump supporters being remarkably large, the response to the event by Capital security was predominantly negative. Neveah Branson, sophomore at Mason High School, was impacted by the insurrection. 

“Absolutely disgusting,” Branson said. “It did nothing but prove that racism is very much alive in America, and the fact that it took so long for the President to condemn it shows all we need to know.”

Branson, as stated before, is not the only one who is appalled by the events that transpired at our Capitol. Izzy Adams, senior at Mason High School, has an international perspective thanks to her sister.

“I talked to my exchange sister who lives in Italy,” Adams said, “and she told me that Europe now sees us as a joke and no longer looks up to us on how to run a country.”

The insurrection at the Capitol has not only garnered feelings of dread and sorrow among those who supported Biden, but it has also caused supporters of Donald Trump to take on a far more negative view of the President. 

Recent reports from the popular political website, FiveThirtyEight, shows that President Trump’s approval rating has plummeted over the past two weeks from around 42% all to as low as around 37%, while polls from the Washington Post and ABC News show his former presidential opponent and current President, Joe Biden, garnering a 67% approval rating in regards to his handling of the presidential transition. 

John Rumler, MSU attendee and Mason High School alumni, has a largely negative view of the people who partook in the riots and Trump’s lack of action. 

“Disgusted that our president would incite an event like that and that fellow Americans would participate,” Rumler said. 

What remains largely unknown are the actions that these Trump supporters may or may not take going into the future. 

Trump Supporters surrounding the US Capital on January 6th. (Blink O’fanaye)

Nobody knows what the future of this country holds, or what it will look like, but many hope that these feelings of utter polarization will not spiral out of control and take the form of something much, much greater.