Crisis in the Middle East, Again?

Iran Peace Hand, by: Canva

Dalton Caron, Staff Writer/Lead Editor

Over the centuries, the Middle East has always been a home territory to violent conflicts and war. From inner tribal warfare, to super powers bent on imperialism and controlling the region and many others, there has always been some form of conflict occurring in the region, and our modern world is no exception. Today our country is faced is a conflict in the Middle East involving the sovereign nation of Iran.

On Friday, January 3, President Donald Trump gave the order for a lethal drone strike against top Iranian and Iraqi officials that were involved in what the White House states as an “Imminent threat against the nation.” Among those killed was Iran’s top military general, a part of their Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, General Qasem Soleimani. 

Soleimani has been the leading major general of the Corps for the past 22 years involved in heading up many of Iran’s proxy wars, collaborating with the U.S. to fight the Taliban, helping coordinate the Russian intervention in Syria during their civil war, and many other extraterritorial military and clandestine operations. Before he was killed, Soleimani was considered the second most popular and powerful person in Iran behind Ayatollah Khamenei.

Senior Mario Gonzalez remarked on how he felt about Qasem Soleimani from his personal researched knowledge of him and the entire Iran topic that is still taking place today. “ From what I know he is a terrible man. In his time he has killed over 600 American troops countless civilians too, organized terror groups, all in his ‘reign of terror,’” said Gonzalez, “Due to the fact that the General and his group were definitely planning something, like another strike on the U.S, the order killing of this man by the President was justified”.

After the drone strike Iran declared Soleimani’s death a National catastrophe, had 3 days of national mourning, and finally declaring vengeance upon The United States and all of its overseas armed forces. Since then tensions have been extremely high between the U.S. and the entire Middle East region.

Sophomore Allie Muschong stated her opinion on the entire U.S. Iranian conflict. “ I don’t really think it’s an immediate issue as of now, and I definitely don’t believe there’s gonna be a World War 3,” said Muschong, “But I know relations between the U.S. and Iran and the entire Middle East in general has never been good, so I don’t really know what will happen”.

On January 7th the crisis reached what now seems to be its climax when Iran fired 22 ballistic missiles on 2 different American air bases(Al-Asad and Erbil). Iran claims this to be righteous justice for their fallen hero and revenge against the United States for committing such an atrocious and unforgivable act, as well as claiming to have killed over 60 United States active armed service units, even though both American and Iraqi officials report no lives were lost and minimal damage was sustained.

Although the situation has since died down and Iran claims it never truly sought out a full scale war with the U.S., many still speculate and believe war may still come. Others wonder if this whole event was just somehow a large publicity stunt that President Trump attempted to pull off and bolster his approval ratings in the upcoming 2020 presidential election. As President Donald Trump once said, “ As long as I am President of the United States, Iran will never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon”.