The Mandela Effect is Real

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Mandela Effect is Real

"Berenstain Bears + Books " by easypatchwork from Flickr, C

Olivia Kinney, Writer

Remember the iconic Darth Vader scene in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, in which Darth Vader said  “Luke, I am your father”? The line you remember is incorrect. If one looks back at the film it is actually “No, I am your father.” Fans remain spinning in confusion, leading them to the Mandela effect theory.

It all started with Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa. Everyone remembered him passing away sometime during the early 1990’s in prison, but apparently he died on December 5th of 2013 due to an ongoing respiratory infection. This phenomenon is based off memories that are said to be false; when multiple people remember the same thing but it appears to not be true. The name came about when Fiona Broome discovered that other people shared her false memory of Nelson Mandela dying around the 1980’s.

A book called English Alive was published on October 1st, 1991. It clearly stated Nelson Mandela dying on the 23rd of July 1991. Why would a book lie about something like that? Since it was published, it had to be looked at and books cannot present false content otherwise they would  be sued, so therefore it has to be true. This makes one question if alternate universes may exist.

“I think the Mandela effect has been proven true. In multiple situations large masses of people have thought of events that have actually never happened,” said Sophomore Sylvia Torok. “I think an alternate universe is sort of far fetched, but a part of me believes it is just because there is so much unknown.”

To start off, we all know the famous show about a family of bears from our childhood: Berenstain Bears. Yes, that is right, not “Berenstein Bears like we all recall. In fact I always thought it was pronounced “Burn-steen” bears. Children tend to mispronounce tricky words but in this case “stain” is quite simple, so how come we don’t remember it that way?

Another example would be America’s favorite movie: Forrest Gump. When looking back at the movie Forrest says “Mama always said life is like a box of chocolates”, that turns out wrong again. He clearly states that, “Life was like a box of chocolates” which doesn’t make sense because he is speaking in the past tense. Torok is appalled by the line change and goes on about the most dramatic Mandela Effect experience she has had.

“In the movie Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the evil queen says, “magic mirror on the wall” not “mirror mirror on the wall”,” said Torok. “I remember watching this as a kid. She said mirror mirror which is why it is so easy for me to believe in the Mandela effect.”

For those wanting to go watch the upcoming Tom Hanks movie A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, pay attention to the title of the movie because it happens to be mistaken. The theme song’s correct lyrics from the original show is “It’s a beautiful day in this neighborhood” not “the”. A title for a movie is quite significant, it should be a simple task to not mess up so why isn’t “A beautiful day in this neighborhood”? Senior Neils Heiselt debates whether this is convincing or not after being informed about the Mandela effect for the first time.

“I kinda don’t want to believe it’s true, as it would kinda undermine my understanding of reality, but it is also not something you can easily explain away either,” said Heiselt.

Now that movies and shows are covered, take a look at Freddie Mercury’s phenomenal song “We Are the Champions”. At the very end of the song after the commonly known verse “We are the champions”, Freddie Mercury shouts “Of the world”. It never happened. 

Sophomore Jayln Sartor has witnessed the Mandela Effect first hand. He never doubted the image of smokey the bear until now. 

“There is nothing that shows him with suspenders but me and many other people think that he has them on,” said Sartor firmly believing Smokey wore suspenders. “I believe the Mandela effect is real through alternate universes with slight changes.”