Compete For A Cause

Soccer team plays to raise funds and awareness to support the research and treatment of childhood cancer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Compete For A Cause

Mason vs. Okemos Compete For A Cause game.

Samantha K. Trout

Samantha K. Trout

Samantha K. Trout

Samantha Trout, Staff Writer

The Mason Varsity and Junior Varsity soccer team played the Okemos Chiefs in a tense game down to the minute. But they were playing for more than just a score on a scoreboard this game was to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancer, in the Annual Compete for a Cause match.

Many of the players and spectators of the game have been touched by this terrible condition in many ways. The players and coaches feel very humbled by being able to participate in this game. “Being a part of that is very huge and exciting so as a coach it’s awesome and it’s a blessing to be a part of it,” varsity head coach Jacob Derby explains how this experience has made him a better coach.

“As a coach this game is very valuable for the program,” Derby said, “The Mason soccer program has deep roots in the community and we are always out there trying to help and grow soccer.”

On September 21, hundreds of people came out to support the cause and the team. The community of Mason is very supportive, everyone is intertwined. When something tragic happens In Mason, the whole community steps in. It’s the same for Mason High School. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone feels the effect of losing someone to cancer. Team Captain and Junior Elijah Gill is familiar with tragedy at Mason High School.

“Well with Luke Granger and all the recent things that have happened in Mason, I feel like this is a great thing for our school and I feel like it does have a positive effect because we do remember Luke during this time,” Gill said.

Unfortunately, everyone playing on the field has had a loved one or friend touched by this condition and hopefully they have won their battle, like team captain and  Sophomore Landon Buskirk.

“I’m playing this game for my older sister. When she was younger she was diagnosed with brain cancer,” said Buskirk. “Luckily she beat it so that was really good.”

Compete for a Cause is not only able to raise money and raise awareness for childhood cancer, but the community and the team can learn from the experience. 

“Being able to give back to the community and to these children by doing this event is very valuable and important and the guys in the program, the soccer players are able to learn a valuable lesson of giving back,” Derby said “And understanding that sports isn’t the most important thing in life.”

This cause is very important to the community and the team, being able to be a part of it makes a huge impact on everyone in our school. 

“I think it is very important because there’s a huge crowd here it’s a really important game for us,” Buskirk said. “And it means so much to be able to put a person on our back and play for them.”