Fine Arts Events Coming This Summer To Lansing

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jamie Hude, Writer

This summer, there are many festivals coming to the Lansing area that involve the fine art community. Whether one person enjoys seeing the art people perform through singing onstage or seeing the art that one portrays through a painting or mural. No matter what readers are into, everyone will find a fun event that they will enjoy.

Don’t want to attend Prom but love art? The weekend of May 18-19, there is a art festival that has taken place in East Lansing for over 56 years. The East Lansing Art Festival features over 170 art exhibitors, live artist demos, 3 stages for musical performances, poetry, and art activities for the whole family to enjoy. This festival also has a wide range of variety in the foods that they have in their food court.

According to festival director, Julie Levy-Weston, there will be 5 food vendors on site of the art festival.

“There will be Melting Moments (ice cream), Red Wood Grill (barbeque), Fire and Rice (Paella, both sausage and vegetarian), Genovese Concessions (donuts and hot dogs), and Waffle Stix (both sweet and savory waffle creations),” said Julie.

Not only are there food vendors onsite, but also restaurants near the festival: “There are also several regular restaurants nearby, including Chipotle, Taco Bell, and Five Guys,” said Julie.

Mason High School art teacher, Mrs. Combs claimed that she knows of and is traveling to the East Lansing Art Festival on Saturday, May 18.

“The East Lansing Art Festival is this weekend and one of our local artists Doug Delind is going to be there where people can go and actually do stuff so he’s not just selling art, but he’s there because Lansing has hired him to be there so that the Lansing community can be apart of it.” Combs said. “If anybody from our school stops by there, he’s going to be making some tiles and we will get to represent ourselves by writing in the tile and then it will be in the Lansing area for a really long time.”  

According to Combs, the art festival has a wide range of things that people sell including food, art, and useful goods.

“They’ve got really good food and tons of artists from all over Michigan and even some out of Michigan,” said Combs. “They’ve got paintings, jewelry, woodwork, intricate stuff, handmade stuff, laser work, and they have a lot of things that are Michigan-based like lawn furniture and different things that are really usable around the house that you can use along with just really cool artwork.”

On the same weekend, East Lansing is also having their Michigan State University Spring Arts and Crafts Show. This event is one of the largest arts and crafts shows in Michigan. People from all over the state come to this event and sell many homemade items such as different types of materials used at home, to paintings/sculptures, to toys and clothing for kids, to clothing and jewelry for adults.

Throughout the whole month of June, there are multiple musical festivals taking place in the Lansing area. On June 21-22, there is a Summer Jazz Festival in East Lansing. It is free and features many artists to perform, different activities for the kids, and  a New Orleans-style Parade.

Also on June 22, the Three Stacks Music Festival is happening in REO Town, Lansing. (REO Town is located right by the smokestacks of the Eckert Power Plant.) This music festival is made up of different alternative, indie, and punk bands from all over the country. Tickets are $40.00 and can be purchased on their website.

The 20th annual Common Ground Music Festival is coming to Lansing on June 27-30 along the Grand River. Ticket prices differ depending on if the individual wants to purchase one-day tickets or general admission festival passes. These passes grants admission for every day of the festival. Each day, there are different artists that play that surround mostly the same type of music genre.

On opening day (June 27), different bands are performing that are all mainly alternative with main artist, Brandi Carlile. Friday, June 28, is the day of Pop music including popular artist Zedd. Saturday June 29 is the Country day with famous country artists like Cole Swindell and Chris Janson. Last but not least, Sunday June 30 is the Rap/R&B day including artists like YG and A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie. Past performers include Halsey, Hunter Hayes, and Shinedown. Common Ground has many vendors as well like different kinds of food and different types of clothing.

Beginning July 12-13, in Lansing there will be the Old Town Scrapfest where there will be art shown that was made out of recycled materials (mostly ferrous metals) which will be up for grabs for an hour, chosen by 2 members from each team. For a large piece of handmade art the weight amount is up to 500 lbs. of scrap with a total of 20 teams. A small piece can be made out of up to 250 lbs. of scrap, with a total of 10 teams with 1-5 people per team.

Starting off in the first week of August, there will be a couple unique events taking place. First, there is the Lansing Jazzfest taking place on August 2-3. This event will be filled with many performers,vendors, and delicious ethnic foods from Jamaican Cuisine: Kingston Kitchen, to Fire and Rice: a Spanish Cuisine, to Lansing’s local Cottage Inn Pizza. On August 3, Grand Ledge is hosting their 46th annual Island Art Fair.

Readers that enjoy the theatre community will love the Renegade Theatre Festival. This festival will be on August 8-10 and 15-17 in Lansing. People from all over the country will perform to their audience numerous plays including original ones of their own such as Evolution by Phil Darg or Party Favors by Cary Pepper. During the same time as the Renegade Theatre Festival the

re will be an ArtFeast also in Lansing. This is a sidewalk sale that includes over 50 artists booths and a food truck.

In Mason on August 23-25, there will be the 10th annual Sun Dried Music Festival. This music event features many bands and food vendors. This event is free and is located right downtown Mason.

This summer is going to be filled with various art and musical festivals coming to the Lansing area. If interested in any of these festivals, make sure to go check them out for either a once in a lifetime show at one of the musical festivals, or for a art festival that might just take the audience’s breath away.