BulldogBytes

Mason Varsity Baseball off to Blazing Start

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Sylas Woll (top) celebrates with junior Parker Friend (left) after hitting a walk off sac fly to beat the Holt Rams on Saturday, April 27.

Colin Koot

The Mason varsity baseball team has gone on a tear to start the season.  They currently own an 11-1 record and are in first place in the CAAC Red.  However, many are still left wondering if they can make a deep run in the playoffs.

The Bulldogs are led by first year coach Kohl Tyrrell and have just three seniors on the squad.  Despite the lack of significant experience, Mason has still notched key sweeps of Holt, Saint John’s, Lansing Catholic, Parma Western, and Haslett.  The Bulldogs’ only loss came in a series split with Okemos.

“We have been pretty solid so far, but we still have room for improvement,” said junior third baseman Parker Friend. “I think we are all happy with where we are as a team right now.”

Mason has outscored its opponents by an astonishing 82 runs, 109-27.  After losing their first game, the Bulldogs have ripped off eleven in a row.

“The rest of the season is looking very good.  I think we will end up with a very good record and maybe have a chance to win the district,” said freshman Matthew McGonigal. “I think that we will win the league again and then win our district.”

Last year, the young Bulldogs edged out DeWitt to take the CAAC Red league title, and it’s their goal to win it again.  Mason’s biggest competition in their conference are the Fowlerville Gladiators, led by Division II commit Sam Browne.

“I think that we stand a strong chance at winning the league.  We are already off to a hot start and if we continue with our fire offense and lights-out pitching then we definitely have a good shot,” said freshman Talon Rowe.

Senior Dylan Magee is a big piece of the Bulldogs offense, he’s off to a strong start after hitting .450 and posting a 0.96 ERA last season.  Another Senior, center fielder Sylas Woll, has been a key contributor for Mason. In their last game, Woll hit a walk off sacrifice fly in order to complete the team’s sweep of Holt.

Junior Ethan Burt has been a key piece of the Bulldogs pitching staff this season, being a shut-down reliever for Mason.  His twin brother, Junior Jacob Burt, has assumed most of the catching duties and commanded the pitching staff very well this year..

“If we keep playing selfless baseball like we have the past couple weeks, I have a feeling we could go a long way when it comes to playoff time,” said Friend.

Mason was invited to the Diamond Classic last year, the first time in a while for the program.  The Diamond Classic is a tournament for the absolute best high school baseball teams in the Lansing area.  If invited back, the Bulldogs will want to avenge last year’s loss in the first round.

“I think that Mason will go back to the Diamond Classic and maybe have a shot to win it,” said McGonigal. “We have a lot of talent on our team and it has showed so far this season.  We just have to keep winning and I think we’ll get the invite soon.”

The Mason varsity baseball team looks to build upon their successes with another league title and possibly a district championship.

About the Writer
Colin Koot, Sports Section Editor
My name is Colin and I am a freshman at Mason High School.  I enjoy playing baseball, basketball, and tennis. I love to read and write as well and I enjoy writing sports articles.
3 Comments

3 Responses to “Mason Varsity Baseball off to Blazing Start”

1. Kyle McGonigal on April 30th, 2019 9:49 am

Nice article by a very talented young man!

2. Mary Ann Vining on April 30th, 2019 1:38 pm

YAY MHS BULLDOGS!!! So happy to see Kohl as your coach!!!! Lucky guys to have him as your leader! I’m so proud of you , Coach Tyrell! Good luck as your season continues… great start!!!!

3. Christa Paul on April 30th, 2019 7:29 pm

Loved the article Colin! Exciting and very detailed!!!! Keep up the amazing work!

Speak your mind, but any form of harassment, impersonation, trolling, or any other form of bullying used in a comment will be deleted and marked as spam. Anonymous comments or fake email addresses will be deleted and marked as spam as well.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Mason Varsity Baseball off to Blazing Start

Features

Fine Arts Events Coming This Summer To Lansing

Features

Sports Officiating and Coaching

Features

Chamber Choir At State Solo and Ensemble

Features

Remembering Keara Bullen

Features

Mueller Report To Be Released Mid-April

Features

Costa Rica Trip

Features

Mason Robotics Earns Prestigious Award

Features

Body Image Promo

Features

Body Image & The Media

Features

The Societal Importance Of TikTok

The Student News Site of Mason High School