The Silent Voice Within

Gwyneth Zamora, Writer

Being an introvert in today’s modern society can often lead individuals to think that introverts are like social outcasts, but this isn’t true. In today’s world people often view extroverted people with admiration. On the other hand, introversion is frowned upon. Extroverts receive positive marks as social butterflies, and introverts are known to be socially awkward and weak. The overwhelming feeling that what introverts experience on a daily basis is just an abstract idea to most people. However, this is not the only thing introverts can feel. There is a surprising upside to being an introvert in an extrovert biased world.

Introverts view small talks as an inconvenience. They often find it uncomfortable and it can even be a source of anxiety for them. But that does not mean introverts are not open to meeting new people and interacting with them. Introverts actually value conversations that allows them to step outside their comfort zone.

In addition, society acts as if introverts are outsiders. This is because individuals tend to view extroverts as the high achievers, and introverts are misunderstood and forgotten about. They view introverts as failures. As people who aren’t trying hard enough to make it in the world. As people who are spiritless, uninteresting, and simply too lazy to try.

“I dislike not being able to talk to people,” said freshman Taylor Richardson “Sometimes when I’m hanging out with my friends, they forget I’m there. It’s really sad because I’m trying my best to fit in with them, to join in on their conversation, but due to me being an introvert, I find it hard. I feel invisible sometimes.”

Common assumptions about introverts tend to put them in a box. Introverts are neither nobodies, nor underachievers. It just takes time for them to feel comfortable with the people around them. They usually find being alone as a way to recharge their battery to prepare to go out to the world and connect with people.

Nevertheless, introverts are excellent listeners. They are naturally proficient when it comes to listening. Extroverted people are more inclined to jump into a conversation, therefore not minding their actions

“I think we introverts are really good listeners,” said Richardson “We can be the best people out there to reach out to you when you’re feeling upset or if you have some good news to share.”

For this reason, introverts make outstanding leaders. The portrayal of their exclusive character is more important than reputation and fitting in. They remain who they are from person to person, whether they fit in or not. Additionally, introverts also attend to other aspects of life rather than having a strict social focus.

In addition, introverts also suffer from introversion at school. Schools tends to focus on group work and collaboration, neglecting the needs of students who work better in quiet settings.

“It’s very hard for me to participate in class,” said freshman Madalynn Zuke “I often feel very intimidated from speaking out and voicing my ideas.”

Introverts seems to do their best when provided choices that allows them to manage the level of their nervousness. Having the power to balance and adjust throughout the day creates a safe space where they can be more available for the learning instead of having to adapt.

“Being able to just keep to myself and manage my time alone makes me feel comfortable” said Richardson.

Whether they are high schoolers or young professionals, many introverts take in the idea that they are flawed. They carry this burden with them and believe that their introversion is an obstacle to overcome, and an embarrassing secret, or a defect.

However, self-acceptance can make an introvert feel at peace with themselves, and learn to connect confidently with others. Once people stop thinking that the idea of introversion is a liability, a fault, or a disadvantage, introverts can welcome their nature and find positive ways to succeed.