For the Love of the Game

Austin McCoy, Writer

Choosing between a handed five million dollars or ability to play the sport they love for years on end is a difficult choice. One of which player Kyler Murray had to make.

21 year old Kyler Murray is a football and baseball star at the University of Oklahoma. In his freshman year of highschool, Murray attended the University of Texas A&M. He transferred to Oklahoma University in 2016 and in 2018 would later become the winner of the Heisman Trophy. The Heisman trophy is known to be the most rewarding trophy in all of college football. Players who win the Heisman Trophy epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work. In his 3 years of college, Murray led his teams to three bowl games. One in 2015 and two in 2018.

Murray signed a Major League contract with the Oakland Athletics with a five million signing bonus in June of 2018. While Murray loved the money, he also loved the sport of football. With months until the upcoming NFL draft, Murray was still undecided.

Tim Tebow gave some words to Murray. “You know what? Don’t do it for your agents, or your friends and sometimes necessarily even your family, do it for what’s on your heart, and don’t let other people define you. You’re going to have all these coaches that you look up to and everybody else that’s going to tell you what they think, but what’s most important is following your heart and your passion. And so, I don’t know, hopefully he did that.” After the words of wisdom Tebow handed to Murray, Murray finally came up with a decision. He was going to follow his heart and stick with football.

The Oakland Athletic’s are still pursuing Murray hoping he would declare for the 2019 MLB draft. “As we’re sitting here right now, we expect him to be in spring training,” said A’s manager Bob Melvin, February 1. “Now, look, he has opened up some doors for himself that the world is literally his oyster right now, and I will be for whatever he chooses to do. The football thing, you win the Heisman Trophy and you get drafted in the first round, how often does that happen? He is that type of athlete and he’s going to have a great career in whatever he chooses to do, and we will support whatever he chooses to do. But at this point in time we haven’t heard anything different, and I’m expecting him to be in spring training. If something changes in the meantime, then we deal with it.” Melvin and Murray are pretty close ever since Murray was drafted to the A’s.

“I think if football is really what he likes to do then he should go for it and it was a good decision. Money doesn’t make you happy, it’s doing the things you love with the people you love,” said sophomore Gavyn Peterson. Murray’s final decision on choosing football has people wondering why he chose that sport but at the end of the day it’s about following your heart.