Duke’s Zion Williamson

Landen Bates, Writer

Rising college basketball star Zion Williamson is exactly that, a rising star. He’s been atop his game in recent history, and this does not come as a surprise to anybody. The 6’7, 284 pound forward, is a superstar in the making and the future couldn’t be brighter.

Zion Williamson has very high expectations but he doesn’t let that get to him.  As of January 7, 2019, Duke is currently the number one ranked team in the Atlantic Coast, and the number one ranked in the nation. With their record at 12-1, eight of the games undefeated at home, Duke has room to breathe in the standings due to their incredible start. Zion and his counterpart, RJ Barrett, have been leading this team through a stretch of games with tough opposition.

Perhaps one of Duke’s most important games of the season came when they were traveling to Gonzaga. Even though this game was early in the season, everyone knew that it would be a huge difference maker when determining playoff brackets. This game was Duke’s only loss, the score, in favor of Gonzaga, 89-87.

Ever since Duke’s first loss, Zion and company strived to get the sour taste out of their mouth and keep Gonzaga their only defeat. Their next game was coming against number 22 ranked, Indiana. Zion knew Duke had an advantage pregame since they were performing in front of their home crowd. Firing of with a vengeance, Duke made sure to never allow Indiana back into the game as they led for most of it. 90-69 was the final score. Ever since their victory vs. Indiana, they haven’t lost a game since.

Zion Williamson is still a freshman, and he has decided that he wants to enter the NBA draft after this season. Zion is often compared to Lebron James. Most people, although, view Zion as just a dunker. Zion responded, “I kind of hate being classified as a dunker. Coach [Mike Krzyzewski] wouldn’t have recruited me if I was just a dunker. But I guess people on the outside don’t understand that. I can’t play to impress other people. I’m playing to get better for myself and my teammates and hopefully make a run for a national championship.”

This quote from Zion Williamson proves that he is an unselfish player and he has a variety of options after this season. It’ll be interesting to see what decision Zion makes going forward, and how Duke finishes off their season. Zion is said to be of the most talented young stars ever in college basketball, since Michael Jordan, and he is living up to the expectations.