BulldogBytes

Editors In Opposition: The Innocence of Baby it’s Cold Outside

Ainslie Schlagel, Editor in chief

Amid the aimless holiday controversies that surface every year right before Christmas, an imbecile radio station sparked a recent controversy that flooded the comment section of Facebook.

The song Baby It’s Cold Outside, written by Frank Loesser in 1944, was banned by a Cleveland radio station after the lyrics were harshly misinterpreted.

The song has been a favored tune for the holidays, but now the lyrics have been twisted by the media to mean something completely opposite of holiday cheer. The song, which has been out for 74 years, was only thought to have bad intentions when brought to the attention of social media users.

People now interpret the song to be about rape. The lyrics “Say, what’s in this drink,” sang by Lynn Garland, Loesser’s wife, have been spun into a date-rape reference. A song which had no issues for over 70 years, has no place under this distasteful accusation.  

The song, featured in the beloved scene between two characters in the movie Elf, has, for 74 years been a treasured holiday song. If radio stations had not brought the lyrics into question, the song would never have been so poorly misconceived.

Now, social media users everywhere are, yet again, unjustifiably offended by something with no ill will. Instead of taking time to dive deeper into the history of the song, people remain shallow minded and think no further than the surface of the issue.

The song is no more than two companions having a drink. People instead took the meaning behind the drinks to allude to date-rape. An English teacher interjected and pointed out that the lyrics were not as they seemed “‘Hey what’s in this drink” was a stock joke at the time, and the punchline was invariably that there’s actually pretty much nothing in the drink, not even a significant amount of alcohol,” said English teacher and tumblr user.

In 1944, women were perceived much different, staying over at a man’s house was seen as wrong, and women wanted a “good girl” persona. The woman directly states that people would think badly if she stayed “The neighbors might think…My maiden aunt’s mind is vicious,” the woman fears the gossip if she stays. Society at this time saw sexual independence in women to be detestable.  

If this song were to be written in the 21st century, with the #Metoo movement in full force, than the lyrics would be considerably distasteful as the subject of men and women remain very sensitive. The exaggerated concern over a classic song that presents no obvious harm is aimless. Some argue that the song should still be held to the same standard, despite its age, but with this notion today’s popular music that speaks only of sex and drugs should also be taken under consideration. This exhibits immense hypocrisy. Neither today’s music nor music from the 20th century should be of such high concern, and banning any form of entertainment is distasteful.

While people are concerned about petty, insignificant social media semantics, there are much more immense issues that should be focused on more closely.

Baby it’s cold outside, is a simple holiday song, and all though it is being blown far out of proportion, shows just how much society has changed. It is no secret that people are offended by just about anything in 2018 but this controversy goes to show that something as small as a classic holiday song can no longer be enjoyed fully.

For the dark side of “Baby it’s cold outside” click this link!

https://mhsprofilebytes.com/1609/opinion/editors-in-opposition-the-dark-side-of-baby-its-cold-outside/

About the Writer
Ainslie Schlagel, Editor in Chief

Hi, my name is Ainslie (AYNZ-lee)! I am a junior at Mason High School, I will be the Editor in Chief this year for the Digital Media class. I began taking...

1 Comment

One Response to “Editors In Opposition: The Innocence of Baby it’s Cold Outside”

1. Tristan Moore on December 20th, 2018 11:23 am

I agree

Speak your mind, but any form of harassment, impersonation, trolling, or any other form of bullying used in a comment will be deleted and marked as spam. Anonymous comments or fake email addresses will be deleted and marked as spam as well.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Editors In Opposition: The Innocence of Baby it’s Cold Outside

Opinion

School Sports: Why They’re A Problem

Opinion

Toxic Masculinity

Opinion

Video Doesn’t Compare to the Truth

Opinion

Why the Pistons are Struggling

Opinion

The Existence of Alien Life

Opinion

The ‘American Dream’ Is No Longer Achievable

Opinion

Editors In Opposition: The dark side of Baby it’s Cold Outside

Opinion

Postponed Regulations Cause Lettuce Recalls

Opinion

Frustration behind the screen

Opinion

Relevant Classes of Today’s Society

The Student News Site of Mason High School