Mason Boys Basketball Gets First Conference Win

Connor+Richardson+goes+up+for+a+floater+over+Haslett%27s+forward.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Connor Richardson goes up for a floater over Haslett's forward.

Colin Koot, Writer

The Mason boys varsity basketball team picked up their first conference win against Eastern High School on December 14

Mason flipped a 26-18 deficit to a 38-26 advantage in the third quarter, outscoring Eastern twenty to zero and attaining a 38-26 lead.  “What helped us was that we got stops on defense, allowing us to get defensive rebounds and get (baskets) in transition.  Our second half defense led to our offense,” said senior Patrick O’Connor.

Senior Alex Jordan hit a three and made two other buckets to lead the bulldogs in scoring with seven in the third.  “We started moving the basketball and reversing it, and when you do that you get a good chance to get open shots,” said Lee Chaney, Mason boys varsity basketball coach.

Mason came out very poorly in the first quarter, only scoring seven points.  “We did a very poor job defending and boxing out.  Also, on the defensive end we did not communicate well,” said O’Connor.  Senior Diante Smith led the Quakers with five points in the first quarter.

The Bulldogs continued to slump in the second, but switched to a zone defense that contained the Quakers towards the end of the half.  “It stopped them from getting to the basket, and our zone forces help, fortunately, it took away what they wanted to do and gave us more guys around the basket to rebound,” said Chaney. Smith went off for nine points in the quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Mason extended their lead and secured their first conference win.  “We played with a lot more effort and desire, and when you start getting stops, you start gaining confidence and all of a sudden it’s exciting to play defense,” said Chaney.  “We were able to get some easy points, which helped build our lead.”  The Bulldogs outscored the Quakers ten to nine in the fourth to win 48-35.

Mason dropped their first conference game against Haslett, so the importance of not starting 0-2 in the conference was high.  “The first conference win is a big confidence builder and helps with the standings,” said O’Connor.  Mason goes to Okemos on Tuesday and looks to get their first conference road win when they go to Saint Johns on December 21.