BulldogBytes

George HW Bush dies at age 94; after long and difficult battle with Parkinsons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Addison Soule, News Editor

The nation tragically lost former President George Herbert Walker Bush after a long and difficult battle with vascular Parkinsonism on Friday, November 30. He was 94 years old, the 41st President of this nation, who served his country dutifully, forged a global commission to oust Iraqi forces from Kuwait, and ended the Cold War in 1991.

“Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died,” his son, former President George W. Bush, said in a statement released by family spokesman Jim McGrath. “George H.W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41’s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens,” announced the 43rd President George W. Bush on the passing of his father.

Born on June 12, 1924 in Milton Massachusetts, Bush served in World War II, enlisting on his 18th birthday into the Navy, becoming the youngest pilot in the war. He flew a carrier based torpedo based bomber aircraft,  executing a total of 58 combat missions. Bush was awarded with the Distinguished Flying Cross for his World War II service.

Following his service in the army, Bush was elected into the US House of Representatives in 1966. Running for president in 1980, Bush lost the primary vote to Ronald Reagan. Reagan went on to offer him the vice presidency. He then went on to serve under President Reagan as his Vice President for both of Reagan’s terms. Following his dedicated service under Ronald Reagan, Bush ran for President and won the 1988 presidential race. After losing to Bill Clinton in 1991.

Bush was born into a political family, his father Prescott Bush was a US senator for the state of Massachusetts. This gave Bush a prominent background in politics, which he used to his advantage. Bush entered the Oval Office with the largest political resume of any president in modern times, congressman. United Nations ambassador. Republican national chairman. U.S. liaison to China. Director of the CIA.

On Friday Obama, the 44th president, said in a statement that America had “lost a patriot and humble servant”. He continued: “It’s a legacy of service that may never be matched, even though he’d want all of us to try.

“Life goes on with all its mystery and wonder,” wrote Bush in his diary on September 2, 1988, about 44 years after he had been shot down in combat, and only two months before he would win the presidency. “I want to live to do good things and partly to meet the challenges that lie ahead, but I don’t fear death.”

About the Writer
Addison Soule, Editing/Web Development

Hello. My name is Addison and I will be News Editor of the multimedia platform MHS Profile Bytes for the 2018-2019 school year. I am a junior this year....