Freshmen Boys Basketball Tops Northwest on a Buzzer Beater

Colin Koot, Writer

The Mason boys freshman basketball team topped Jackson Northwest on a last second buzzer beater by, Connor Williamson, on December 11.

To start the game, Mason set the tone by applying full court pressure and executing half court traps.  They forced many turnovers, but failed to finish layups.  “We came out well, we were not really making our layups but we started making them towards the end of the game.  The press was really helping us, we were getting a lot of easy points off of that,” said Bushey.  Deverion Jefferson had eight points off of four layups in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, both teams stalled offensively, scoring under ten points.  The last twenty seconds set the tone for halftime though, with five points being scored.  “They came down and hit a three, (then) we inbounded the ball and Justice went coast to coast and hit a layup before halftime,” said Bushey.

Neither team extended a lead in the third, with Haslett scoring just before the buzzer to tie it up.  Mason outrebounded Jackson Northwest 28 to 21 in the game, giving them lots of chances for easy putbacks.

In the fourth, Mason got up by as much as four with 1:30 left.  Mason outrebounded Northwest eleven to four in the fourth quarter, which helped them get the lead.  “My plan [to keep the lead] was to play good defense, hustle, and try to make some plays,” freshman Connor Williamson said.

Northwest then scored four points on two consecutive trips down the floor.  “We got up by four, they came down and scored, then we turned it over and they hit a baseline jumper to make it tied at 39,” freshman Alex Bushey said.

Eric Rice brought the ball up the floor with thirty seconds left, and Mason dribbled out the clock until Rice fed Williamson down low.  “I zoned everyone out and thought, I have to score this,” said Williamson.  He turned and missed a jump hook but collected his own rebound and scored as time ran out.

The freshman team’s next game is at Lansing Eastern Thursday night.  They look to get their first conference win of the season and improve to 4-1 overall.