Mason Boys Basketball Drops Conference Opener

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo: Madeline Chrome

Photo: Madeline Chrome

Photo: Madeline Chrome

Photo: Madeline Chrome

Colin Koot, Writer

Mason boys varsity basketball fell short of Haslett High School in the first conference game of the season, despite eighteen points by senior Noah Anderson.

With the Bulldogs trailing by 10 points going into the fourth quarter, creating as many turnovers as possible on defense was necessary for a Mason comeback. “Defensively, we were going to have to bring more energy, get the intensity up, and try to get as many turnovers as we could,” said senior Garren Lattig. Mason scored eleven points in the quarter and failed to execute on defense, resulting in a 70-52 loss.  Haslett traveled with a large, student section for the first conference game of the year. “They were very strong and we just had to play through it,” said Lattig.

Haslett showed a lot of resilience and will to get the win on the road Friday night, “It’s always a big night for us, Mason’s projected to finish in the top half of our league, so it’s a big win” said Chris Smith, the Haslett head basketball coach. The leading scorer for the game was Haslett’s Sam Laczynski, with nineteen points.

In the first quarter, Mason came out strong, led by seven points by senior, Alexander Jordan. “We executed … and we played defensively very well,” said Lattig. Jordan hit a three pointer and had two other buckets while Anderson had six points, mostly down low.

Haslett answered in the second quarter with eighteen points, led by Laczynski with eight. Mason scored only nine in the second quarter, seven by Jordan, due to tough Haslett defense. “They began to press our shooters and double the post,” said Lattig.

Haslett continued to defend well and make shots through the third quarter. “I thought we came out way too slow in the first half, but our defense really picked back up and allowed us to mount a lead,” said Smith. Senior Ty Andrades had ten points for the Vikings in the third quarter.

Mason looks to bounce back on the road against Jackson Northwest on Tuesday night and hosts Lansing Everett in a league game on Friday.