BulldogBytes

Relevant Classes of Today’s Society

Back to Article
Back to Article

Relevant Classes of Today’s Society

Nicole R, photography

Students say that they shouldn’t have to take classes like Chemistry and Physics. Others say they should not have to take history classes, and some say classes like Personal finance and Foods and nutrition should be required classes that they have to take. Everybody has their own opinion on what classes should be required to take and what should not, but the thing is, these classes are not actually current and relevant to life outside and after high school. Most classes students are required to take do not actually prepare them for the real world after graduation.

One class that should be required is a cooking class that accommodates to everyone with food allergies and restrictions, this is because even when students go in college they still need to feed themselves and they probably will not want to live off of ramen and mac n cheese. If a student goes to college they probably will not be able to afford to just rely on take out, frozen meals, and the cafeteria food. Say a student lives in the apartments on campus, they can not rely on the one person in their apartment who can cook, because they will not always be there, and when they are not what is the student going to eat? Point is, students need to know how to cook for themselves. It’s also better for their health if they make their meals by hand, rather than having all processed foods. In the long run, it’s better for their health and their wallet if they cook their own meals, rather than buying things like take out, and frozen meals everyday. Most current cooking classes also do not accommodate for those who are vegan, or have a food allergy(s). This needs to change because in life people are going to come across others who are vegan and people who have food allergies. If they can not accommodate to their food needs then they will not have anything to eat, which is not okay. For example, say a student is have one of their friends over and they are vegan, are they going to know what they can and can not eat? Are people going to know how to make a meal they can have, or even have food for them to eat? Chances are, they probably will not unless they are a vegan themselves. There are also those who can not have dairy, gluten, and other common food allergies. Do people know how to prepare a meal they can have? Probably not, this is because these food restrictions are not accommodated by schools who even have a cooking class available.  Cooking is also just a skill everyone should know. Even if someone is not great at it, they should at least know how to make the basics.

Personal finance should be a required class. This should be a required class because it actually helps prepare students for the real world. In this class students learn how to do their taxes, manage their finances, how to buy insurance, and how to rent/buy a house, apartment, or car. This class needs to be required because without learning how to do these life essentials, students will not know what to do when they come across situations like completing their taxes. Credit is another thing people need to know about and without taking this class, they probably would not even know that it exists let alone what to do with it or what it does. Buying a house is not nearly as easy as most think it is, there are many things people need to think about when making these decisions such as: can they actually afford it, will they continue to be able to afford it, and do they need it, or do they want it?  There are also many things to think about when buying a car, like are people getting a good deal for the condition, or are they being ripped off? People need to compare and contrast to see if they are actually getting a good deal or not. People should not just find a car they like for what they think is a reasonable price and buy it, when really there could be much better cars out there for a much better price. These are all things that students are taught in personal finance. These are things students need to know after they graduate high school, and college.

Being forced to take classes like chemistry and other so called “core classes”, really do nothing for the student unless they are going into that particular field after they finish school. Personal finance and Cooking are only a few classes that should be required in school curriculum. These are the classes that prepare students for the real world. School systems are not actually preparing students for the real world, and that needs to change.