BulldogBytes

189 dead in Jakarta plane crash

Back to Article
Back to Article

189 dead in Jakarta plane crash

A rescuer inspects a part of Lion Air plane flight JT 610 retrieved from the waters where it's believed to have crashed at Tanjung Priok Port in Jakarta, Indonesia, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018. Relatives have provided samples for DNA tests to help identify victims of the Lion Air plane crash as accounts emerged Tuesday of problems on the jet's previous flight including rapid descents that terrified passengers. (AP Photo/Binsar Bakara)

AP

AP

AP

Rylie, Writer/Video

On Monday, October 29, a 2-month-old Lion Air plane crashed in the Indonesian Java Sea just 13 minutes after its take off from the coast of Jakarta, Indonesia. The plane had “experienced unreliable airspeed readings on its previous flight,” said Fox News, which had alerted the passengers. The plane had only had about an hour flight from Jakarta to the city of Pangkal Pinang.

Just minutes into the flight, the pilot, whose name has not been released, had grown cautious of the planes ability to keep going and had radioed in for permission to turn around which was granted, but then had called it off, confident it could make the short trip.

The plane was intact on the way down to the water surface, but as soon as it hit, the plane was believed to then explode because of how fast it was falling. The exact cause of the failure is still unknown, but assumptions are being made, “Whether the trouble came from its indicator, its measuring device or sensor, or a problem with its computer. This is what we do not know yet and we will find it out,” said Investigator Nurcahyo Utomo to USA Today.

The plane was carrying “181 passengers including three children, as well as six cabin crew members and two pilots,” said Express news. A total of 189 people died in the crash and so far, more than 140 of 189 bodies were recovered. As bodies are being found, authorities are inviting family members to grieve and identify their loved ones.

Debris of the plane and passengers belongings have been floating up to the surface, but so far, no real evidence has been shown of the cause of the crash. Investigators are still diving to the sea floor to look for remains and evidence of the cause(s) and going over previous flights for recurring issues.