BulldogBytes

A Place of Acceptance

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Place of Acceptance

Keegan Bentley, Writer and Editor

The Alliance is a program where students of all genders, those who are gender non-conforming, and students of all sexualities can come together in a safe place. There they can mingle and discuss amongst themselves. Alliance meetings are held in Steven Jackson’s room (room 02) from the time the school day ends to 4:00 p.m. or 3:30 p.m. which will be determined by Jackson.

An example of a discussion that happened was on September 21, which was an exchange that helped refresh all present about different genders, sexualities, and identities in general. The conversation was guided by a power point; however, the participants were the ones who mainly propelled the discussion by asking questions and discussing the answers. The students can prepare their own presentations to initiate discussions as well.  Rather than a president and vice president, there are co-presidents with equivalent responsibilities and authority.

“My role as a co-president is to help lead our lessons and to collaborate with the other presidents when it comes to deciding what will be discussed during the meetings.

My responsibilities are to ensure that the discussions we have as a group are fun, informative and interesting.” says Senior Tiffany Wells. Wells is a senior and an example of an activity that she helped organize, was signs with positive messages being adhered about the school.  Wells is well liked by the members.

“Tiffany is one of the presidents she’s really nice.” said Freshman, Dakota Keith

The alliance is a place that is appreciated by all of its members.

“The Alliance is a place where people of diversity can come together and share, without fear or worry about being ignored or shamed. It is a place of free thoughts and comfort. Sometimes it is the only place where someone can truly be themselves.” said Freshman and Alliance attendee Makenna Maher. Come to the alliance and discover people that will accept anyone whatever nature they may have.