BulldogBytes

Mason FFA Accomplishments

Mya Elliott, Writer/Editor

Many new things have been happening in the FFA (Future Farmers of America) recently. Six students, from California, Louisiana, Michigan, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Oregon were chosen to be National FFA leaders. Among these national leaders is former FFA member, Adrian Schunk, being elected as National Eastern Region Vice President for the 2018-2019 year.

Adrian was elected at that same session, 9th general session on Saturday morning,” said FFA advisor Pete Barnum. National Officers commit to spending a year of service to the National FFA Organization. Serving as Vice President, she will have many more responsibilities and opportunities.

“So as Eastern Region Vice President, as a National Officer in general, Adrian is going to be serving all of the 700,000 FFA members in the nation,” said senior FFA member, Matthew Albrecht. “She will be traveling all across the country; she’ll be going to Japan and some different countries as well. So she has lots of traveling and just serving others throughout the upcoming year,”. Schunk will be traveling to many different places to talk to FFA members, business leaders, government and education officials, and the general public. To get to this point, Schunk had to go through a long and rigorous preparation.

“The process begins in spring as our state association selects our state candidate.  Many hours traveling and preparing for the National Interviews during National Convention.  Adrian travelled to Washington DC, Minnesota and Texas as part of her preparation,” said Barnum. When Schunk was a part of the Mason FFA, she did many different activities to develop her leadership skills.

Adrian participated in many different activities as part of our chapter… She served as a Chapter, Regional and State President.  Several different leadership contests Creed Speaking, Parliamentary Procedure, Extemporaneous Public Speaking, and Prepared Public Speaking.  Career Development Events including Marketing Plan and Ag Sales. She was active in our maple syrup operation, helped establish our Jr High program as well as our ag literacy projects,” said Barnum. Schunk graduated from Mason in 2018, and currently majors in communication at Michigan State University.

There are also many new things happening in the current Mason FFA program. On Saturday, Oct. 27, the FFA Parliamentary Procedure Team traveled to Indianapolis to compete in the 91st National FFA Convention & Expo.

“Mason FFA charter just went to National FFA convention. We had a Parliamentary Procedure Team that was a state champion, compete at nationals,” said Albrecht. The team competed in the big competition, and won a silver award.

There were several components of the Parli Pro competition; Written Parliamentary Procedure Accreditation Exam, Minutes Practicum, Team Problem Solving Practicum and a Team Demonstration,” said Barnum. “Members were responsible for practical and technical knowledge of 25 different abilities and were also evaluated on presenting logical and convincing debate as part of their demonstration.” While doing this, the group also participated in many other activities that were being held at the convention.

“We had a Parliamentary Procedure team, Adrian, and then we had multiple people come to have fun,” said Albrecht. “We had a Garth Brooks concert; we had different leadership workshops; we had a shopping mall for the convention. There were lots of convention sessions to attend.”

One of the huge activities that happened at the convention was the appearance of president Donald Trump. “President Trump spoke during the 9th and final convention session on Saturday.  Every year the National FFA invites the President of the United States to speak at our convention,” said Barnum. Trump talked about many current things happening in the country.

“He talked about the mass shooting that happened in Pennsylvania that morning, and then was just recognizing FFA members, talking about diligence, and hard work, and the effort we put into what we’re doing and how that’s gonna play out in the future,” said Albrecht.

The team had many new experiences and opportunities at the national convention that helped them to grow as a team, and plan to do many more new things this year.

“We’re going to be doing lots of competing. We are doing a discussion meet for the first time this year, and we’re learning a lot as a group,” said Albrecht. With so many accomplishments already, the team hopes that throughout the rest of the year they can become even stronger as a group. “Once again, we are off to a fast and furious start and looking forward to our members continuing to grow, develop their leadership skills and reach their goals this year!” said Barnum. The FFA will work to achieve many great things during the remainder of the year.

picture- mason FFA facebook page