BulldogBytes

11 Dead in Pittsburgh Synagogue Massacre

Back to Article
Back to Article

James, Writer

The city of Pittsburgh was deeply broken October 27, in response to a brutal and disturbing synagogue shooting killing 11 worshipers and wounding six, four of which were officers. In an afternoon news conference, officials revealed that the shooter was in the Squirrel Hill Synagogue for approximately 20 minutes. After the attack had concluded they attempted to flee the building, but retreated within the synagogue when met with SWAT officers equipped with tactical armor and armed with rifles. The shooter then proceeded to barricade himself within a third-floor room, where he eventually surrendered.

After observing the condition of the shooter preceding the massacre, federal law officials charged him with 29 criminal counts. These included 13 counts of ethnic intimidation, 11 counts of criminal homicide, six counts of aggravated assault, and obstructing free exercise of religious beliefs. It was later confirmed that they had no criminal record prior to the shooting.

An account under their name was deleted from a social media network called Gab, labeling itself as a haven for free speech. The app has become well known because of claims of anti-conservative bias on other social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, and is a popular meeting place for white nationalists and alt-right activists. The account in question was littered with anti-Semitic messages and slurs. Gab archived the account before taking it offline, then releasing a statement clarifying their willingness to cooperate with law enforcement. “Gab unequivocally disavows and condemns all acts of terrorism and violence,” the statement read. The shooter has also been violently against the migrant caravan that has recently formed, calling the foreigners “invaders”. Squirrel Hill has long been the heart of the city’s Jewish community and many in the area are grieving those who lost their lives simply by exercising religion.