BulldogBytes

Autumn Activities: Haunted Houses

Nicole R, photography

Every year during the fall, most people look forward to all things Halloween related. Many people enjoy the thrill of being scared, caused by haunted houses and other haunted attractions. Some Haunted attractions in the area are well known, such as Shawhaven. Others such as Corpse barn shock haunt, and Jackson underworld, are other haunted attractions worth visiting  if you are willing to make the drive to Jackson.

If people are looking for what each attraction is like, I can say from my personal experience. Starting with Corpse barn shock haunt, it’s a very well rounded haunted experience. If people get dizzy, sick easily, or have epilepsy where they might have a seizure or heart attack from strong flashing lights like strobe lights and other flashing lights, this would not be the place to go. If people get claustrophobic really easily, they will probably struggle with a few parts of this haunt. There are also a couple points in the haunt where you will have to crouch and squeeze through a very tight space, and someone will have to push your way through. The decorations are very unique, meaning some hanging down from the ceiling while others are embedded into the walls. If you have a tendency to run through haunts, be careful not to fall up or down the stairs. Try not to shove friends too much. If you’re not careful you could possibly shove them into a staff member, or into a flight of stairs. The staff are absolutely amazing, if you are someone who gets lost very easily they are really understanding and good sports about it. They adapt to you if you get lost easily, they will sort of guide you through the haunt instead of just standing there staring at you all creepy like. Warning, some staff give you contradictory directions which can be confusing, but they will physically lead you if you get too confused and lost. It can be more enjoyable if you go with a group of people. In summary, it has a good atmosphere, good price of $20, great staff, good length, and good quality of spooks and scares.

Following with Jackson Underworld, the 3D psycho vision haunt is also a very well rounded haunt. Those who have severe anxiety, heart conditions, vertigo, or have mental problems should not go through this haunt. Although if you are thoroughly terrified of clowns, this might not be the haunt for you unless you are willing to test your fear. This is because the whole haunt is clown themed, you are also required to wear 3D glasses which can cause slight disorientation. There are clowns painted on almost every wall, if you are not scared of clowns this haunt will not be as scary. A decent portion of this haunt is just walking through the halls anticipating jump scares, which puts you on edge. The  jump scares are not constant, meaning they give you breaks in between each scare. This being said it is the lesser haunt between the 3D psycho vision, and the extreme haunt. The staff were amazing, all staff are clown related.  They will find loopholes in the rules, such as the “you don’t touch them they won’t touch you” one came up behind me and breathed down my neck, but they didn’t actually touch me. The staff are very interactive with you, and they might try to have a small conversation with you still being in character. At one point in the haunt they want you to “sing” and if you don’t they say that “it’ll get worse”. They also might follow you throughout the haunt but they won’t be all up in your face, they understand people have boundaries and they don’t make people uncomfortable. You aren’t rushed through the haunt, and you have to be careful because there are a few sets of stairs in the haunt. It can be more enjoyable if you go with a group of people. In summary, although psycho vision a bit on the shorter side, $20 is still a good price for the quality of the spooks and scares you receive, the staff are amazing, and the general atmosphere is fun. In conclusion, most if not all haunted houses are fun, and spooky. Just remember to be safe, and have fun because that’s what Halloween is all about.

About the Writer
Nicole R, Photography/Advertisement

Hi! I'm Nicole and I'm a senior. I'm in the MHS marching band. During marching season I play clarinet, and during concert season I play bassoon. Some other...