BulldogBytes

Welcome to the Art Club

Mya Elliott, Writer/Editor

Open to all who are interested, starting on Oct 25, there will be meetings every Thursday from 2:45 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. for the newly founded art club. The cost to become a member is five dollars and goes towards an end of the year incentive. Held in room one, near the front doors, art teacher Yolanda Combs will be leading the club in activities such as fundraising and community projects.

“A couple of things I know are in the books right now, is we are going to be helping the elementary dance again. Another thing that we’re going to be working on is a community mural,” art teacher Yolanda Combs says. “Those are two of the things that are definitely on the books, but we’re also looking for ways to help do some fundraising so that possibly next year we’ll be able to go on an educational tour or trip.”

Another event coming up that the club plans on doing is the community craft fair, held in the high school on Nov. 10.“We’re gonna make pieces, such as dreamcatchers, jewelry, and maybe treats,” senior Marissa Stevens says.

The club strives not only to make art, but also to have an effect on the community. “If you want to make an impact on the world around you, you want to be a part of our group,” Combs says. “We want to be a group that doesn’t just make pretty things, but can help impact the community in a way that helps show self expression, and acceptance of everyone around us through art.”

Despite doing many activities, the group also plans to do art projects just for fun inside the classroom. The goal of the club is to help students to feel connected through art.

“It’s just to get people more into art and to build a community based of off art, senior Sidney Hogge says. “We give people the ability to use their skills and give each other inspiration. To get people to realize how important the arts are, and help contribute to the community.”

For some, the group will create a place to work on things that they could not do at home. “You know, I like art, and I’m very much a procrastinator, so I can’t do it at home, and then I don’t have the materials. So by being able to do it at school, I can get inspiration from others and stay on track, and have all the materials I need,” Stevens says.

Though some have already joined, the group is always looking for more people to come.

“ Don’t be afraid. You don’t need a specific art skill to join. It’s just for fun,” Stevens says.  The art club has its doors opened wide for anyone inspired to create, and hopes to have a successful year.