BulldogBytes

The Damaging Truth

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Damaging Truth

"Colourful medical tablets and alcohol, to portray suicide.Click on the link below to see more of my medical images."

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Gwyneth Zamora, Page Design

Countless of individuals do not understand what it means to be addicted to drugs. They simply think that those who use drugs lack principle or self-control and that they could only stop their drug use merely by choosing to. In truth, drug addiction is a complicated disease that affects people’s brain in ways that make quitting hard, even for those who wants to.
Drug addiction is a serious illness that affects people from all the pace of life. It’s caused by a variety of combination of demeanor, habitat and biological factors.

Many people who counter the disease of the addiction will make a point that the addicted person purposely choose to start using drugs. That is true, however addiction takes a life on its own and is much harder to control.

In foremost, people might choose to do drugs because they like the way it makes them feel. They may think that they could control themselves, but over time drugs changes the way the brain thinks. They make people lose restraint and changes their behavior in ways that could be harmful to them and the people around them.
Given all these consequences, people favor drugs as a way to cope with problems in their life, without having someone that could help them handle their issues. Stress, anger, frustration, depression, anxiety–all of these can be shattering to every individual causing them to seek comfort of any kind.

However, choice does not determine whether something is a disease or not. Disease is what happens to people as a result of their choices. While there is a part of choice involved, picking the right choice is so much harder for people who have addiction. Majority of the population are not addicted because they want to be, but because they feel they need the material.
In addition, every person should know that recovery is never out of grasp, no matter how impossible the situation may seem. With the right treatment and support, change is possible. The path to recovery involves bumps, blocks, barriers. But inspecting the problem and just thinking about recovery, you’re already in the right path.

Lastly, developing an addiction isn’t a quality fault, it takes more than self-discipline to overcome this problem. Recovery requires time, motive, and support, but by giving responsibility to change, individuals can triumph over their addiction and reclaim control of their life.

About the Writer
Gwyneth Zamora, Reporter
Hello readers, my name is Gwen and this is my first year at Mason High School. I consider myself as a quiet and reserved person. I love the outdoors and just bonding with my family. My hobbies include reading and learning new instruments. I also play tennis and I view myself as a great player.
1 Comment

One Response to “The Damaging Truth”

1. Easton Chance on October 22nd, 2018 11:10 am

i think some people do drugs to be or act cool to try and impress their friends, like this said, they might not have anybody to share their problems with, so they resort to drug use, they think their problem is gone, but they might be making it worse

Speak your mind, but any form of harassment, impersonation, trolling, or any other form of bullying used in a comment will be deleted and marked as spam. Anonymous comments or fake email addresses will be deleted and marked as spam as well.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

Klavons: Worth the Hype?

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

The Courtyards

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

Newsom halts death penalty throughout California

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

Pugs Are Problematic

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

Insect Decline

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

The Silent Voice Within

• The Damaging Truth

A&E

“Captain Marvel” Movie Review

• The Damaging Truth

A&E

The State of Contemporary Art

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

School Sports: Why They’re A Problem

• The Damaging Truth

Opinion

Toxic Masculinity

The Student News Site of Mason High School
The Damaging Truth