2018 Costa Rica Trip

Alex, Writer/Video

Every other year, Mason students and staff have an option to go on a trip to the country of Costa Rica. On the trip this year were 18 students and three chaperones including Cortney Ford, Betsy Collins, and Ben Shoemaker.

The next trip will be in June of 2020. There is a certain process to getting to go on the trip. In order to sign up, “Students fill out an application about a year before we leave. Included in the application is an essay about why they want to go, teacher recommendations and a letter from their parents explaining what the trip will mean to them,” Ford said. Along with the process for signing up, the trip will cost money so there are many opportunities to fundraise over the period of a year’s time. Last year, the MHS students who went on the trip sold chili at a football game, worked the popcorn wagon for Mason Optimist club, and helped run a garage sale.

Costa Rica offered many different opportunities and activities for both student and staff. Hiking, zip lining and white-water rafting were just a few of the many thrilling experiences there. The students also learned to surf. The trip wasn’t all high adventure activities though, it was also a learning experience. The students completed community service at schools and learned about eco-tourism.

The culture was a big part of the learning experience as well. Compared to America’s culture, Costa Rica is very different, “The Costa Rica culture is simple… people’s homes are not filled with stuff. Kids don’t have toys all over the place, homes may have one television, and people are often seen sitting outside visiting with each other. Another notable observation is that every town has a soccer field and if kids aren’t at school, they gather at the soccer field for pick up games,” said Ford. Overall, Costa Rica is less technologically oriented and values face to face conversations.

With the community service, different learning experiences, and going on several energizing activities, the Costa Rica trip is a real adventure. Ford sums up the trip in this way, “My favorite part of the trip is watching the students take in every experience and grow in their friendships, – The trip is AMAZING…every year we go! The students that go are amazing, we have so much fun and learn a lot!” The trip to Costa Rica is an amazing learning journey and an opportunity for once in a lifetime experiences.